The domain extension is an important part of a website selection as we have already discussed in our previous blog difference between .com and .in. If the domain extension is not suitable, it won’t help your site to scale better.
Like mentioned in our previous blog on .COM and .IN, the .COM extension is the most common domain extension as it’s generic and wildly used. .NET extension, on the other hand, is ideal for network-related sites like email and the internet.
If you are planning to start a website and are confused regarding the .COM and .NET extensions, then you must be well aware of the difference between the two. So, here is a brief on the difference between .COM and .NET.
Also, read this BigRock review to know why it is the best domain name registrar in India and register a domain today!
Which Should You Choose – .COM or .NET?
With a host of domain extensions available, selecting the right one can become a difficult task. While picking an extension, you need to consider its purpose, the recall value as well as other benefits and pitfalls. Your choice of domain extension can also affect your site’s ranking as well as traffic. Thus, research is important and if you have narrowed down your choice to .COM and .NET, then here is a quick overview of the difference between these two.
The .COM extension is suitable for commercially viable sites, tough its availability depends on the web hosting companies. Most new websites opt for .COM extension as it offers more credibility compared to .NET. Read this BigRock vs GoDaddy hosting comparison review to know which is the best domain name registrar.
- Most premium business brands and sites prefer .COM as compared to the extension .NET, as it has a professional connection that is missing in other available extensions.
- Getting a .COM extension also depends on the hosting plan you choose. Most premium plans come with a free .COM extension. Given the high demand for .COM extension, you may also have to wait to get it for your company name or website.
- If .COM extension is not available, then people may choose alternatives like .IN, .NET and .CO.
- .NET is mostly used by online technology companies when .COM is not available. Some website owners also consider .NET when other extensions are not available.
- Most web hosting companies offer the .NET extension and that too at a feasible cost. As compared to .COM, .NET is available for cheap.
4. Getting a Domain
As .COM domain name extension is generic, it is easier to get the domain extension through various web hosting providers. With BigRock, as mentioned above, you can use BigRock coupon to buy a domain at a cheaper price.
Most bloggers/website owners choose the .COM option for WordPress as its easier for third party hosting. Simply log on to the web hosting company’s site and choose .COM extension. You’ll have to pay for the extension depending on your plan.
Likewise. getting a .NET domain name is also easy. Here is how you can register a domain name at BigRock.
6. Benefits and Pitfalls
Whether the website with a .COM extension is to sell a product or simply to promote services, its indeed the best and most trusted domain extension.
- With .COM extension, there won’t be any confusion regarding the web address. Most people type in .COM with the website name, so it does provide flexibility to potential clients.
- The only issue with the .COM extension is finding the perfect domain name, as more than half of the websites have a .COM extension.
- Also, its time consuming and expensive to buy an already existing domain name from the owner.
Talking about .NET extension, there are only a few websites with .NET, so you’ll be able to get a domain name you want.
The only issue with the .NET website is, you’ll need to promote it harder to compete with regular .COM websites. You’ll have to consider traffic, SEO, and other tools so that it fares better compared .COM.