Speed is a vital factor for the ranking and user experience of a website. A WordPress site that loads faster gets more traffic. A CDN system speeds up your WordPress website by serving the static content from servers located near the user’s location.
By using a content delivery network, you can take a load off your web server and enhance the visitor experience on the site. Configuration of CDN on WordPress is simple, and most SEO experts use CDN for optimisation.
* Conditions apply
How Can CDN Help Boost WordPress Website’s Speed?
Give your WordPress website the best performance boost with the best CDN system. CDN shows your webpage from the server that is located closest to the user browsing the web page. This ensures that the content is delivered swiftly. Most people get confused between a regular CDN and WordPress CDN. However, both are quite similar. High availability and scalability are two features that CDN offers for a website. Hence, it is important to find the right CDN system that provides the right balance to your website without sacrificing automation and customisation.
2. How CDN Helps WordPress?
Content delivery networks are a network of servers also known as POP’s located globally. WordPress CDN helps deliver static WordPress copies around the world, and at times dynamic content.
WordPress owners or users can benefit from using the CDN network as most websites on the internet are powered by WordPress. All CDN providers or web hosts accommodate WordPress websites, which is an advantage and can greatly benefit large websites.
Further reading: How to Choose the Best WordPress Hosting
2.1 How Does CDN Speed Up Your WordPress Site?
Most WordPress hosting serves a website from a single location. The website users access the same server from that location. If your site’s traffic is high, multiple requests from the users will slow down your website.
During peak traffic hours, if the server crashes, it will make your site unavailable for users. A single-second loading delay can cause 7% lesser conversion and a 16% reduction in customer satisfaction.
It is where a CDN can help your WordPress website. It caches all your servers’ static resources. When a user requests a web page, all static resources are served through the CDN network. This reduces the server load time and makes your WordPress website faster.
4. How to Set-up CDN For WordPress Website?
- Sign-up for the CDN, and the company will provide a new name server. Or the name that you will need to add to your current registrar.
The CDN also acts as DNS, so it will require you to use the new name servers. Some may allow you to use the CName.
- Once the propagation is complete, you can get your CDN setup ready.
WordPress offers CDN plugins for one-click installation. But before you install a plugin, you will need to check the reviews to know if the setup is safe. Once you set up the CDN on your website, start with the optimisation process.
4.1 Optimise CDN for WordPress
- Try enabling automatic WordPress optimisation.
- Minify the HTML and CSS - it’s an enabled feature for most CDN networks. Once the function is enabled, test the functionality of the web page.
- Block the xmlrpc.php - you can do this by using the firewall rule, instead of blocking the login page.
- Enable the image optimisation feature. Most CDNS optimise the images on the website and converting them into WebP.
- For the sites that use CloudFlare, use the Rocket loader feature to improve site speed and functionality.